3725 County Road 12 (now Dandy Road)
We are pretty excited about this one! A beautiful historic country home and what a great place to live — because it is part of Vankleek Hill Vineyard!
The new owners of Vankleek Hill Vineyard are opening up their home to visitors and are opening the winery for the first time with their newest batches of wines for sale, a short walk from the house! There will be gift baskets, specialty teas and more for sale in the winery shop! Meet the new owners and find out what they have in store for the coming year!
You will love the honey-coloured floors in this home, the gourmet kitchen, the woodwork and the cozy feeling, enhanced by the homeowners’ lovely neutral furnishings!
Thanks to the Vankleek Hill and District Historical Society for the house history below!
House History ~ Construction c.1835 and c.1870
In 1802, the first grant for this 200-acre property was issued to Nancy McKay, followed by two quick transactions with no settlement.
Samuel Mooney was 25 when he arrived in Canada in 1830 from County Antrim, Ireland. He was an experienced stonecutter and worked on the construction of the Carillon-Grenville canal system on the Ottawa River. Samuel purchased this farm property in the early 1830s; however, he delayed settling.
Samuel married Mary Lough in 1835, and in 1837 the couple moved here. With six acres cleared to start, the couple lived in their log house where they raised a family of two sons and three daughters. The youngest son, Samuel, remained at home, assumed the farm as his parents aged and never married. The 1861 Census shows the family is still living in their log home. In 1866, Samuel’s older brother, William Samuel known as “Billie Sam,” purchased the family farm.
Billie Sam was a skilled builder who later owned a sawmill that milled doors, sash windows and moulding. Between 1866 when he purchased this farm and 1873 when he married, Billie Sam built this new home. In the 1890s, Billie Sam turned the farm over to his son Elderson known as Ellis, and moved to Vankleek Hill to run his sawmill.
For the better part of the 1800s and into the next century, this property was owned by the Mooney family. In 1921, Ellis Mooney sold to John Wylie who ran a dairy business.
In 1969, the Wylie Family built a new free-stall barn with a milking parlour and erected the silo. In 2017, as part of the county-wide celebration of Canada’s 150th anniversary, a muralist painted the outstanding raven that appears on this silo.
In 1971, the government expropriated a 40-acre section of the Wylie farm for construction of the 417 highway which divided the farm in two, isolating the eastern portion of the farm. No longer able to effectively farm, the property was sold as a hobby farm in 1973.
This wood clapboard house with its peak dormer windows and tin roof is in the Ontario farm style. The detailed presence of mullion windows and gingerbread provides whimsy to an inviting home. The interior has original floors, milled baseboards and door casings. Lasting proof of Billie Sam Mooney’s skills.
(Photo from the Wylie Family period)