Lots to see and do! Select what appeals to you!
Here are suggestions for time well-spent,
but make this day work for you or your group!
9 a.m. – 10 a.m.:
- L’Orignal Old Jail: Opened in 1825, the L’Orignal Jail was the oldest prison still in operation in Ontario when it closed in 1998. Visit the alcove style cells that were witnesses to inmates’ secrets and sorrows for almost 175 years. Learn about the evolution of punishment and treatments inflicted on prisoners. Immerse yourself in the prison life of past centuries. Contact: 1.800.667.6307 ext. 8107. Book for tours.
10 a.m – 11 a.m.:
- Take a self-guided historical tour of L’Orignal and Longueuil Heritage. (Pamphlet available at L’Orignal Old Jail)
- Take Cassburn Road to Vankleek Hill. Enjoy the view of the rolling farmlands of Cassburn as well as two historical cemeteries.
- Higginson Tower: Learn about the history of this unique structure while you visit historic displays and enjoy the view from this 56-foot-tall tower! The Higginson Tower is open Wednesday through Sunday during July and August, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The tower is open weekends and holidays in September and October inclusively to Thanksgiving Monday, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Email [email protected] to arrange for your tour on days outside of regular hours.
- Visit Vankleek Hill Historical Murals on the sides of buildings at 85 Main Street East, at 12 A High Street, and at 28 High Street.
- Visit the Vankleek Hill Museum at 95 Main Street East in Vankleek Hill. Find out more about historical Vankleek Hill by taking the historical walking tour created by the Vankleek Hill Historical Society. Pick up a handy map at the museum!
12 p.m. to 12:30 p.m.:
- Arbor Gallery: Enjoy art exhibitions at the cultural oasis in the heart of Vankleek Hill. Arbor Gallery is open Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and from Thursday through Sunday, noon to 4 p.m.
- Vert Fourchette: 117 Main Street. Enjoy urban cuisine, pulled pork poutine and many other specialties in this licensed restaurant! Visit the Decadent Market, a gourmet and fine food shop featuring many local food specialties plus their very own hand-made specialties under the brand: Mary’s Fine Foods! Not open on Sunday or Monday but open the rest of the week and for special events. Open until 9 for bistro dinners on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
- Nicko’s Resto Bar: 17 High Street. Pizza, souvlaki, subs, daily specials, lunch specials.
Miss Vankleek Hill: Mill Street. Breakfast served all day. Many daily specials.
- Blueberry Hill Bistro: 16 High Street. Ales, beer, special evening menu, fish is a specialty. Take your turn at the mike! Live entertainment. Check out the Wednesday night music series.
- The Windsor Tavern: Friday night is Two-for-One Steak Night. You can dine in or eat on the patio at the back. Music Friday evenings, Saturday evenings, too. Special events often and entertainment on Sunday afternoons. Trivia Night the last Sunday of each month at 7 p.m. sharp. Pub food from the kitchen: Buffalo frieds, nachos, steak salad, pizza and more!
- The Trillium Tea Room: 111 Main Street. Light lunches and delectable desserts, home-made lemonade in the summertime. Wide choice of teas.
Shopping on Main Street. Pick up a Vankleek Hill tourism brochure and enjoy a self-guided gingerbread tour (See the Vankleek Hill brochure).
- Just a short drive out of Vankleek Hill will take you to Garden Path Homemade Soap Company, at 284 Pleasant Corner Road East, where owner Tara MacWhirter will welcome you to a tour of the beautiful grounds, including a vast array of established perennial gardens, an orchard, herb beds, rows of lavender and two ponds! In the lovely shop, find more than 40 varieties of bar soap, and all-natural bath, beauty and cleaning products. The surrounding gardens provide many of the ingredients that go into these all-natural products. While you are in the store, you will find other local treasures by local artists and artisans for sale, too. (Undercover Boss Series – Garden Path Homemade Soap Part 1)
- Fun for kids: You might want to let the kids enjoy themselves at Ouimet Farms Adventure (located right across from the fairgrounds at 119 Main Street West in Vankleek Hill. Outdoor fun. A corn maze opens up in late July. Visit the website for updates and hours of operation. Chip stand on-site open during June and July and the entire season. See one of Prescott-Russell’s Popsilos on-site. Golf range open to practice while the kids play! Call 613-678-2255.
- Vankleek Hill Vineyard: Just around the corner from Garden Path Home Made Soap, experience the culture of organic winemaking by the family operated the boutique winery. Step into the world of Provence, France and enjoy a glass of wine while overlooking the vineyard from their patio. Selling Yellow, Pink and Purple cow wines by the glass, bottle and by the case. A Prescott-Russell Popsilos site!
- Return to Vankleek Hill. Allow lots of time to shop and browse in our shops & boutiques. Visit our restaurants and find gourmet food items, kitchen accessories and food to take home, too!
- Beau’s All Natural Brewing Company: Take a tour of the local, family-run, award-winning organic and totally family operated Brewery. Taste-test for yourself and buy some to take home. Lots of merch in the boutique inside the brewery. Beau’s is open seven days a week until 6 p.m. Good eats on the patio, open Fridays and weekends during tourist season. A Prescott-Russell Popsilos site!
Washrooms: 95 Main Street, Vankleek Hill Museum & Tourist Info Centre.
Accessible washrooms located at the rear door of 76 Main Street East, Vankleek Hill.
Special Note: Vankleek Hill Foodland offers groceries, prepared food, etc. and a small eat-in area. Open 24 HOURS A DAY!